Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dungeon tiles experiment

My FRPG of choice is DragonQuest which uses 5' hex grids for combat so Hex Kit is a natural fit. But I do need my dungeon/building maps to have the corridors mostly line up with hexes. Corridors that are half in one hex and half in another kind of negate the point of the grid in the first place if the miniatures (tabletop play) or tokens (VTT play) are never in the hexes.

So I've been playing with how to make tiles for Hex Kit that will allow for corridors to run vertically and horizontally into rooms that have walls that meet at right angles. Like humans traditionally build.

Anyway here is the result of the five tiles I have made so far.

Nowhere near as pretty as the Hex Kit tiles. Just used a couple of the default GIMP textures for wall and floor.

And I've attached the tiles if anyone wants to play with them for some reason. Plus the GIMP files if anyone with actual artistic ability wants to have a go.

Comments

• Which zip is the HK files and which is GIMP? Do you expect these to be "final" versions or do you plan to expand on it and do further releases in the future?

• The Phergus-Tiles.zip contain the PNG tiles. The other is the GIMP files. Should have named them better. Like the other tile sets for Hex Kit just unzip the Phergus-Tiles somewhere and import the folder.

There's only 5 tiles currently so quite a few more are needed to make this useful. I'll probably make more so that at the least basic rooms and other intersections can be put together.

• Thanks so much for sharing!
    I would look for Creative Commons images of cobblestone roads and paving stones. Might find something worth using.

• What? You don't like the coffee beans wall texture? ;)

I've got tons of textures I just used the ones in GIMP for proof of concept. Once I get a few more sections done I'll play around with textures to find some better ones. Need to dig around DeviantArt for some hand-drawn textures that might work better.

• edited May 8

@Phergus said:
    What? You don't like the coffee beans wall texture? ;)

I've got tons of textures I just used the ones in GIMP for proof of concept. Once I get a few more sections done I'll play around with textures to find some better ones. Need to dig around DeviantArt for some hand-drawn textures that might work better.

This is a very good idea!

If possible it'd be cool for the tiles to match the Hex Kit originals, allowing for more combinations as well as a more aesthetically pleasing/matching map.

• Has anyone else worked on dungeon tiles? Making the square world match the hex map? I am using some of Phergus' tiles, but I need fill tiles, to fill in floors... I actually would be happy with just some walls and some partial hex fills with the remaining transparent, so I can stack different texture/colors.

Like when I am filling a room, I need half a hex to be the floor texture, but the other half to be transparent so the surrounding stone/black/whathaveyou shows through.

I might copy and modify the HK-Classics to get what I need.