Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Exporting for use with miniatures

Has anyone explored printing their maps and figuring out what the optimal grid size is for a given Letter/A4/whatever page results in 25-28mm scale hexes? More for the indoor maps, of course, but even if it took cutting them out and connecting them, I think it'd be pretty sweet to have them physically present.

Comments

• Keep in mind that these are raster and not vectors, so up scaling them is going to make them not look so great.

• The PNG images that are output have the DPI set to 200 which is wrong if you want the hexes to be 1" when printed. Changing the DPI to 159 will give hexes that are pretty close to 1" when printed.

For a single sheet of Letter/A4 paper a hex grid that is 7x10 fits well and will tile together if you cut them out.

Here is a photo of a 7x10 map printed at 159 dpi from the exported PNG. I think it is perfectly fine for use with miniatures. See ruler at bottom.

• @cecil said:
    Keep in mind that these are raster and not vectors, so up scaling them is going to make them not look so great.

Definitely understood - I still think your artwork is high quality enough to definitely work :)

And awesome demo Phergus, I'm gonna give it a try!