Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hex Classic Parchement Map

Just thought I'd share the "basic" version of my campaign map that the player characters can buy. The more expensive "illuminated" version will be made with the full colour tiles of Fantasyland etc.

Comments

• ooohhhh shit. does the illuminated version have more secrets on it?

• Nice use of the 'Classic' hex tiles. I totally skipped over them, just looking at the color ones... Now I am going to have to revisit them...

• Oh, my... I love it!

• Nice map!

• @cecil said:
    ooohhhh shit. does the illuminated version have more secrets on it?

Absolutely! There's a whole secret village and everything, as well as greater detail/variation in the terrain. The old monk who they'd pay to make it is much wiser than the harried scribe who did this simpler map, and he'll also take input from the players so he can include their latest discoveries.

• I'm curious what you did your borders and border flourish with? I love the look it gives to the map.

• @chewchilla said:
    I'm curious what you did your borders and border flourish with? I love the look it gives to the map.

I Googled "illuminated maps" and "illuminated borders" etc, sifted through what was there, picked out a usable one whose appearance I liked, then Photoshopped away.

When I do the deluxe full colour map, I'll try to find lots of individual, medieval style creatures and what not to add to the border. Will definitely post it here when that happens.

• I just finally noticed the title of this thread (I usually just automatically click all threads with new activity without looking at what they are). A number of people, myself included, have asked for a feature of being able to load in another map as an underlay so that we can paint it into a Hex Kit map without needing to estimate (or count) appropriate numbers of hexes, etc.

The thread title, however, gave rise to thoughts of a similar use case, but with the underlay saved as a permanent part of the map: Using a parchment image as your background. (While you could do something similar with post-processing in gimp/photoshop/etc. by cutting the white areas to transparency, I would expect antialiasing in the original to cause artifacts around the black/colored areas of the map.)