Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kingmaker!!

edited May 14 in Hex Maps

It's not perfect. However, it's nice to give the Kingdom a little extra pizzazz.

I wish there was a draw tool to make lakes. That way I can use layers and cut out what I want to show.

Comments

• I make lakes by putting a water hex down, then putting shore pieces around it... Or multiple hexes, depending on size/scale.

• Depending on the size of the lake, I usually don't even use a water hex. Three or four coastline hexes will do the trick quite nicely:

• I'll have to play around with that.

That looks MUCH better.

• came here to say what @nDervish said. the coasts are half water half blank, so throw them on a layer above the terrain and you can make some smaller lakes, or use the single tile lakes in the Dangerous Scenery set.

• @ndervish: how did you layer that "watery rocky" tile in the lower left? It looks rad and I'm not quite getting it right on my end.

• @nonplayercharacter it looks like that is one of the plateau tiles with a tributary river tile over it. @nDervish is starting to learn the ins and outs of really working the tiles to make unique situations, holy shit haha.

• It's just one of the tiles from the same set as the rest, similar to the two below it, with a river mouth tile on top of it. I wasn't intentionally doing anything cool there, it just kinda happened. (@cecil gives me too much credit. I threw that map together in a couple minutes to demonstrate a lake made of coastline tiles and didn't really think about what I was doing any more deeply than that. The coolness is entirely a result of his tile art and some random luck.)

• @nDervish there are definitely some hidden tricks to Hex Kit that you kind of just find by using it; things I never intended. For example, rotating the terrains underneath coastlines to get other colors. I realized when I was making promotional material for the Kickstarter that I could put a coast over a hill, then rotate the hill tile so the hill was under the water and just the orange/brown showed as the coast. Here you've managed to make a really cool river rock situation by hiding the top of that tile with the tributary.

Pretty cool stuff like that happens just from goofin' off, and I guess you could call it 'emergent' or something.