Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Request] Base hexes rotating

i have an old hex map i'm trying to recreate. the problem i'm having is that the old map has a flat top hex (vertical arrangement), and hex-kit has a point as the top of a hex (horizontal arrangement). is there a way, or can you create the option for us to rotate the hexes between vertical and horizontal arrangement?

this would also help in using tools like http://rolladvantage.com/tokenstamp/, where they only have vertically arranged hexes.

thanks! love the tool

Comments

• So we do plan on implementing this feature but currently the tiles do not support it. Long story short: the tiles are hand painted in their current orientation and cannot go flat side up. We are sort of waiting until someone steps up to make assets in the flat top orientation before it turns into a mega priority.

• I seem to recall having seen a map or two which take advantage of the fact that the tiles are actually square to draw outside the hexagon and overlap each other, but have you considered changing that and instead cropping the tiles at the (somewhat padded, to avoid forcing a hard edge) hex border? Along with an option for HK itself to draw the hex borders (rather than relying on the hex border being a part of the tile itself), this would allow for the same tiles to be used in either hex orientation, or a square grid, or any tessellating tile shape, for that matter.

• edited August 16

@cecil said:
    So we do plan on implementing this feature but currently the tiles do not support it. Long story short: the tiles are hand painted in their current orientation and cannot go flat side up. We are sort of waiting until someone steps up to make assets in the flat top orientation before it turns into a mega priority.

But, when you import tiles, can you not rotate the hexes so they are aligned correctly? If you could add the option to rotate a half-move, wouldn't that fix this issue?

• I'm also eagerly awaiting this feature.

Right now, I'm trying to "pretty-up" our sector maps for Stars Without Number—which are always displayed in a "flat top" hex grid. Doing so has me using the Spaceland tile set (even in its unfinished state—the stars, nebula, planets, and moons are sufficient for my purposes), which doesn't need any adjustment to look just fine in either vertical or horizontal hex orientation.

If this feature were already implemented, I'd be using Hex Kit for it from start to finish. Instead, I'm either going to have to use Hex Kit "sideways" and then manually label the map in some other program, or just use something else entirely. As a Kickstarter backer, that's rather disheartening.

Similarly, most of the non-icon tiles in the third-party "Hex March" sets work equally well in either orientation. And, it's much more likely that third-parties would support both orientations if it was an available feature. As they say: "if you build it, they will come." (As a side note, these sets are fantastic, and I'm glad to see Hex Kit being supported by additional artists.)

Here's hoping that this feature gets implemented sooner rather than later.